Kolkata, Oct 1 : Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday said the Centre is taking steps to curb all possible national security threats, including Maoism and terrorism, and assured the states of Central forces’ help whenever they require.
“Be it Maoism, terrorism or extremism — all sorts of security threats are being adequately dealt with. We are doing whatever is necessary to curb any potential security threat and will continue to do so,” Singh said after a meeting of the Eastern Zonal Council here.
Responding to a question on withdrawal of central forces from various states, the Minister said the Central government had certain compulsions to redeploy forces under circumstances such as elections, but said the states would get adequate forces whenever required.
“I agree that the states need Central forces. However, the central government also has certain compulsions. When elections are held in a certain state, we have to send Central forces there. So, the forces have to be withdrawn from somewhere for further redeployment,” Singh said.
“However, it is not that the Centre will not provide required forces to the states. We will send additional Central forces as and when these are required,” he said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had earlier criticised Centre’s proposal to withdraw at least three companies of paramilitary forces from Bengal’s Left-wing extremism infested Junglemahal area, comprising Purulia, Jhargram, West Midnapore and Bankura districts and redeploy them in critical areas of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh.
The Bengal government had also written to the Union Home Ministry opposing the move.
Singh, who arrived here on Sunday, attended the meeting along with the West Bengal and Jharkhand chief ministers. Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, Odisha Finance Minister Sashi Bhushan Behera and senior officials of the Centre and state governments were present.
“The meeting has been successful since 26 of the 30 issues discussed were resolved,” he added.