61 TMREIS students fall ill due to food poisoning

Hyderabad 15 March : At least 61 students of a Telangana Minorities Residential Educational Institutions Society (TMREIS) school were admitted to a hospital on Thursday when they began to vomit soon after having breakfast.

According to officials of the TMREIS, the incident took place at the TMREIS Girls School, Charminar. The students, officials said, had consumed bonda, which was prepared by staff on the school premises. The students were admitted to the Esra Hospital.

“It appears that the food was not properly cooked. The cooking staff are new. The students said they felt uncomfortable after having breakfast and had vomiting. More than half of the students have been discharged. There is nothing to be worried about. All of them are stable,” said B Shafiullah, Secretary of the TMREIS.

The TMREIS would take action against those responsible once the vigilance team took stock of the situation, Mr Shafiullah said.

A TMREIS source said doctors suspected food-poisoning. However, a confirmation was awaited, he added.

Eyewitnesses said media persons were not allowed to enter the school. A source from the hospital said none of the students was serious.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.